Thursday, August 14, 2008

Clarity at last

If you noticed from the vague nature of my posts, I have completely forgotten what variety of tomatoes I planted this year. So instead of going out to the garden and digging through to locate their labels, I chose to google their traits until I found them.

As it turns out, the mystery tomatoes are:

(1) Yellow Pear Tomatoes

(2) Purple Calabash Heirloom Tomatoes - I think. It could be a different black variety, the green stripes almost look like a Black Krim, but the shape is more Calabash like, whereas the Krim is smoother, rounder. I might have to actually dig to confirm this guy.


It's a bit strange though because I swear I planted a Mr. Stripey of some kind. But I'm getting the Big Boy or Better Boy tomatoes, and these two heirloom varities and the grape. The fifth plant died..I think. It's hard to tell with the way that they're all tangled. Oh, and my weed-tomato plants are producing fruit. It was the romas that survived, not the grape.

I went to the Garden Club meeting yesterday evening. We sampled Heirloom tomatoes of many varieties, learned about the importance and value of cultivating heirlooms (empowering the grower, passing down history, purpose-driven variety), and the proper way to start tomatoes from seedlings. Fun! Tasty! My favorite was the Purple Cherokee, amazing flavor.

I was also able to ask about the demise of my squash plants last year and now this year. The pumpkin is probably not salvageable. As it turns out, its mildew. Due to the excessive rains we've had. I'm going to try the baking soda spray that was recommended. I'm a little worried that they are beyond repair for the most part. I haven't seen fruit growing since the first two zucchini.

No comments: