Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Holy crap, it's August - and there is stuff!!

Alright, I'm starting with my mandatory overview of the garden. It kind of took over. I keep having to pull the pumpkin plant out of the neighbor's yard. The stakes for the tomatoes have failed to hold them up several times. Even the straw flowers keep toppling over, and I've invested in stakes for them as well. But overall, its pretty lush for a flowerbed garden!

Garden

Close-up on the troublesome squash/pumpkin. I finally understand why they suggested planting them like 5' on either side. My plants like to snuggle.

Squash plants

Now I've had the green tomatoes for quite a while now, and haven't thought anything of it. But when I checked this weekend -- "oh shit, they're red!" I'm pretty sure those were my exact words. So the grape tomatoes have started to ripen.

Ripe tomatoes

As well as these yellows ones that I'm going to have to look up because apparently I never blogged my vegetable acquisition.

Ripe tomatoes

Another jalapeno was picked! I also had my first habenero, which is very cool, because it isn't like a fruit dangling, but instead this little bulb on the top of the stem. More photos will come of this. I have another ripening outside. It's uber-cute though.
Jalapeno

And then shockingly enough, I came across, not just one, but two zucchinis! I didn't even know that they were out there. Let alone would flourish into this gi-normous vegetables.
Zucchini

Look, its bigger than my forearm! It's huge!!
Zucchini forearm comparison

No really, look at it next to the soda can.

Zucchini soda can comparison

So my vegetable bounty this weekend:

Zucchini soda can comparison

I love this shot. It makes me so proud. Like I'm shopping at Whole Foods, except I grew them! I'm not in the produce section!

Zucchini soda can comparison

No comments: