Saturday, April 26, 2008

Transplanting the seedlings

The seedlings seem to have outgrown their containers and general growth has come to a standstill. As a result, I'm moving them outdoors into the little garden patch.

I hand-tilled up the soil and removed any weeds that started to bloom with the warm weather. There seems to be a lot of wood chips in there from our neighbors flower bed on the other side of the fence, but there is little I can do about it.

I removed the biodegradable wrappers from the outside of the soil packs before planting each of the flowers. I did place them relatively tight within the garden itself, mainly due to limited space. The peas have been placed in the small center section. Since they should bloom through June, I plan to pull them up and replace them with pre-grown vegetables mid-season. I've lined the front 4 inches of the garden with the three flower seedlings.



While they seemed a little dehydrated when I placed them in the ground, I heavily watered them to help them settle in with Miracle Grow enhanced water.



Just to the left of the center section, I planted three rows of golden beets, which will later be thinned. I'm a little nervous about seeding the ground directly, but I added a little seed started soil to the present soil to hopefully provide a nutritional boost to the area. I won't know for quit a bit of time, since I believe the seeds take 4-6 weeks to emerge.

No comments: